Content and article writers for blogs, newsletters, articles and  Websites. 

We supply content for blogs




Brief History of this car                   

This car was purchased in England by Bozi Mohacek, the present owner, from a Surrey vintage car dealer in November 1983. The dealer had imported the car in September 1982 as part of a private collection of historic cars from a museum believed to have been in Holland. The car was dusty, brown and immobile, and was immediately given the nickname of L'Escargot. Although the car was purchased and registered as being a 1921 Citroen Model C Cabriolet 5 CV, subsequent investigation of chassis and engine numbers established that the car was probably manufactured in June 1924 having the chassis number 37,600 and engine number V-A 38149.

It was obvious that the car had been very well looked after during its earlier working life. All body and chassis parts were very 'original' and generally undamaged and the bodywork was in very good un-rusty condition. The car had been subsequently very well restored externally to be 'dry stored' as part of the Dutch collection. The restoration, however, had not extended to the chassis, engine and transmission, which all required quite a lot of work to make the car suitable for regular road use. The restoration took some nine months and on completion the car was registered for the first time in the UK with a 'period' unused Clackmannshire registration

The first UK vintage car outing for the car, and the owner, was to the 6th International Citroen Car Clubs Rally meeting at Knebworth in England in August 1984 where it was suggested that the car should be entered into the concours competition. Not knowing what 'concours' was, it was agreed. Eventually to the owner's great surprise the car was awarded the Cup for the 'Best Rear Drive Citroen' at the Show, and the owner was awarded the 'Certificate of Merit' for the work done !! The prizes were presented by the Managing Director of Citroen France.

In view that the car still had on the dashboard the original 'owner nameplate' required during the 1920's by French law, it was known the car had at one time belonged to a Mr. E Caurat, Controleur des Contributions Directes (Income Tax Inspector), at le Blanc in France. Early attempts to contact the Caurat Family were unsuccessful and it was not until 1999 that a French car enthusiast resident in England succeeded in contacting a descendant, the daughter, of the original owner.

The original owner, Emmanuel Caurat, had served in the First World War where he was injured by poisoned gas and subsequently spent some time in hospital. He then became an Tax Inspector in Yvetot in Normandy and later moved to Le Blanc. It seems that the Model C was purchased in Le Blanc, probably new, in 1924. The car was then a 'military' green and had a black hood. It seems however that he did not keep the car very long because the daughter remembers as a child that they then purchased a bigger Citroen B2 4 seater which her mother hated because of the frequent breakdowns. The Model C was sold to his brother Marcel some time before 1929 because an aunt remembers that Marcel came to her wedding in 1929 in this car.

Marcel Caurat was also a Tax Inspector and lived in Bordeaux. The Model C, however, was kept in Limousin (Chateau Ponsac) where Marcel had a 'hunting cottage' and where the Model C was used only to go shooting. The car still owned by Marcel subsequently remained in Limousin sharing the barn with a 'Tilbury' horse carriage and many other interesting historical items. The car was still there in 1972 when the original owner Emmanuel Caurat died, and it remained there for several more years. Marcel Caurat died in 1997 aged 95. The barn and its contents had been sold earlier, possibly as late as 1980. The history of the car between 1980 and 1983 is currently being investigated.

Model Cs are now frequently the 'entry level' to vintage cars. They are slow to go and slower to stop, but a great fun mainly because they 'look right' for a vintage car, more so than many other utilitarian looking cars of the period. Although many people now wrongly refer to the Model C as the Clover-leafs, owners of the period referred to the Model C as "Cul de Poule" (hen's bottom) because of the pointed shape of the rear bodywork.
Andre Citroen began manufacture of cars in July 1919 at Quai de Javel in Paris on a production line basis with the four seater Model A which had a 1327cc four cylinder sidevalve engine and a three speed gearbox. Some 25,000 Model As were manufactured before the model was updated in June 1921 as the 1452cc Model B2. Well over 100,000 Model Bs were subsequently manufactured in the next five years. In the meantime Citroen saw there was a need for a smaller more economical car and began to develop the Model C which was first shown at the Paris Motor Show in October 1921. The first production Model C came off the line in May 1922 and about 88,000 Model Cs were subsequently manufactured between 1922 and 1926. The Model Cs were well made and the costs of production subsequently became practically the same as that for the larger Model B four seater. The Model C was therefore discontinued despite continuing demand and Citroen made no more small cars until the introduction of the 2CV in 1948.
The Model C had three updates during its production run, these being Model C, Model C2 and Model C3, the C3 having a larger chassis and tyres. All had the four cylinder 856cc sidevalve engine and three speed gearbox. The Model C was rated fiscally in France as 5CV (5 horsepower), which related to 7.5 HP British, and which was in fact 11BHP at 2,100 rpm. All had braking to rear wheels only, which makes stopping interesting. Cars were fitted with 6V electric starting and lights, Bosch magneto, had gravity fed 18 Lt petrol tanks, thermosyphon cooling (no water pump) and had Torque Tube drive to a 'chevron' differential. ( The Citroen 'Chevron' trade mark comes from Andre Citroen's original business of manufacturing gears).
The Model C came in three primary Torpedo (pointed rear) body types: Tourer, Cabriolet and Cloverleaf, all with fold-down hoods. Early Model C were generally bright yellow and got the name 'Le Petit Citron', the little lemon. The 
Tourer was designed as an open two seater and had no 'weather gear' for the windows. The Cabriolet had a two piece openable windscreen and glass windows which could be raised and lowered by a strap. (The reason for the openable windscreen was because, as wipers had not been developed, it was necessary to open the screen in heavy rain to see the road.) Many people refer to the Model C as the 'Cloverleaf' (Le Trefle) but this is incorrect. The Cloverleaf only refers to the three seater car which had the third seat like a clover-leaf in the centre in the boot behind the two front seats. Tourers are the most common, Cloverleafs are the most recent, and Cabriolets are the most unusual. Additional Model C bodies in small numbers included pickups and delivery vehicles.

1923 Citroen 5CV    Owned by Frank and Beryl Smith ------------------------

                               THE RESTORATION.

 On August 4, 1925, a car similar to this club car set of on a journey that would record it as the first car to travel around Australia.

Frank and Beryl Smith are not intending to make the trip in “Lemondrop” but the historical value of this model was enough incentive to undertake the restoration

Restoring a Vintage car can be a slow process. Research, travelling in search of the elusive parts, then even more research to find out if the parts found are genuine.

It can be a long drawn out journey, not for the impatient, and when all is found the old parts will need tender care for mostly the will be old, rusty and tired

1988 Kingaroy

A good chassis, springs, a front axle, motor and radiator. This motor had been used to drive a saw bench and a connecting rod had penetrated the bottom of the motor

1987 Rockhampton

A broken chassis, Springs and a few body parts. Body parts were used as patterns. No original tin exists on the car except the bonnet.

1988 Brisbane

A good gearbox was found in use driving a factory shaft

1988 Bororen
A motor and gearbox that had been used in a boat and had one missing connecting rod. This motor was good for parts, but the top side of the motor was rusted out, which teamed up well with the Kingaroy motor to make a good one. The pistons were from a Morris Minor.

1990 Brisbane

Magneto, wheels, bonnet, brake levers, an original jack, starter motor and spotlights.

1991 Brisbane

Pedestal for the pan. Brake levers and the radiator cap

Restoring the Citroen   Frank says
It all started after finding a right-hand mudguard, a valance panel and a running board. After a little scratching around in the dirt and the digging up of a door latch, a door handle and the beading from the only door.
The door beading allowed me to ascertain the size of the door. The remainder of the measurements were mainly estimated from an enlarged photo of an original Citroen. Tom Walters using his plumbing skills, bent the body parts while I completed the shaping. Most of the timber was obtained from shipyards, with the sections in the door, over the cowl and door frames being fashioned from maple. The body was then sheeted with Zincanneal, tacked onto the wooden frame.
After the body, the mechanicals were commenced with the re-boring of the engine, valves re-seated and reground etc.
The painting and the upholstery were undertaken by myself, and after about 9 years the restoration of ‘Lemondrop” was complete.Specifications
               Engine Type 4 cylinder 5V                         Bore and stroke 55mm x 90m    
               Displacement 855cc                                    Max B.H.P. 11 at 2600 rpm                       
              Ignition Magneto                                        Transmission 3 speed